How to Apply
CONquer canCER Now Award Eligibility
Concern Foundation accepts grant applications from institutions in the United States and abroad.
Grants will only be awarded to independent investigators at the level of Assistant Professor (or equivalent with explanation). Concern will require a letter from the applicant's Department Chair attesting to the applicant's faculty status and to the applicant's status as an independent investigator with independent laboratory space. This will need to be submitted along with the initial Letter of Intent from prospective applicants.
Priority will be given to proposals from investigators who have yet to obtain significant funding for their work.
All applications must detail all current and pending support from other funding sources, noting any budgetary or scientific overlap. This includes funding from all years of multi-year grants. This information will be requested with the initial LOI and will need to be updated with the full grant application.
Applicants at governmental agencies are not eligible.
Concern will not fund clinical trials, cancer epidemiology, or behavioral studies.
The total grant amount for a Conquer Cancer Now Award is $60,000 for a period of one year, subject to continued funding of an additional $60,000 for the second year. Consideration for a second year of funding is based on sufficient progress (as determined by required submission of a progress report) and available funds.
A detailed progress report must be submitted at the conclusion of the first year to be eligible for the second year of funding.
Concern will not fund overhead costs, indirect costs, or similar fees or charges levied by an institution. Funds are not provided for equipment. All funds are to be distributed only for salaries and supplies directly related to the funded research.
At the conclusion of the funding period, a detailed final report must be submitted explaining the results of the investigation funded by Concern.
Any publication based on work funded wholly or partially by Concern must acknowledge our participation.
The grant period begins July 1, 2012 and concludes June 30, 2013. Grants are disbursed in quarterly installments.
Conquer Cancer Now Award recipients will be selected based on peer review by Concern Foundation's Scientific Review Committee. The committee is comprised of a panel of cancer research scientists from institutions based in the United States and abroad.
Recommendations will be based on the following criteria:
1. Focus on the organization's mission to fund research in the areas of cancer genetics, cell biology, and immunology.
2. Significance and originality of the proposal.
3. Feasibility of the aims of the proposal based on the award amount.
4. Availability of institutional resources to support the proposed project.
HOW TO APPLY
Concern Foundation is utilizing an electronic grants submission process for the Letter of Intent and the full Grant Application. All interested grant applicants must submit their grant applications online through proposalCENTRAL at: https://proposalcentral.altum.com.
Applicants should register at proposalCENTRAL and complete a professional profile. Applicants also should make sure that their institution has registered an institution profile with proposalCENTRAL. Tutorials are available at the login screen once you register.
The application process is expected to be operational at proposalCENTRAL by July 1, 2011.
To apply, follow the steps below.
SUBMIT LETTER OF INTENT
1. Set up a user account for yourself on proposalCENTRAL. Go to https://proposalcentral.altum.com/login.asp.
2. Complete the Letter of Intent (LOI) online by September 8, 2011. Notice of LOI
status will be by email or by checking online.
A) The LOI must be on your institution’s letterhead and include the following
- Title/Position currently held by applicant affirming status as an assistant professor (or equivalent)
- Contact information including email address
- Title of Application
- Lay summary of proposed research (one paragraph)
- Current / pending funding sources. For each funding source, please state
whether there is a scientific or budgetary overlap with the proposed research.
B) Submit a letter from the Department Chair attesting to your position as an Assistant Professor (or equivalent).
SUBMIT COMPLETE APPLICATION
4. Letter of Intent will be reviewed by the Concern Foundation. Applicants will receive notification of acceptance after the September 8, 2011 deadline for LOIs.
5. After receiving approval of the LOI, complete the required application sections.
Additional application templates and instructions will be available within the application that you must download to your computer. Follow the instructions provided online. It is not necessary to complete the application in a single session.
6. When the application is complete, press “Validate”. The program will check your proposal for incomplete elements.
7. When your application is validated, click SUBMIT. The applicant will receive an e-mail confirmation that the electronic submission was successfully received.
Help with the Application Process
For help with the electronic application process, please contact our Customer Support at proposalCENTRAL:
Phone (toll-free): 1-800-875-2562
Grant program questions should be directed to:
Ms. Seunga Yu